Thursday, January 17, 2013

The plot thickens ... osteoporosis?!?

Ever since I got my first stress fracture, and especially now that I'm enduring my second stress fracture from running, the question remains -- How did this happen?

The obvious answers from a running standpoint are:
-the case of the "toos" -- too much, too fast, too soon, and:
-technique: heelstrike? midfoot strike? forefoot strike?
-shoes?

The above can be explored in depth, but today I went for my DEXA bone density scan and a repeat MRI, and while the good news is that the MRI is showing good healing of my tibial stress fracture, I was kinda caught by surprise when the radiologist told me that

I HAVE OSTEOPOROSIS!!

(credit to marklansdown.com)


What? huh? osteoporosis?  How can I, a 39-year old, MALE, non-alcoholic, nonsmoker, non-steroid-taking, relatively active, everyday-milk-drinking guy, have osteoporosis?

I don't know.  As I sat there in the waiting room after my MRI, I googled (naturally) "causes of osteoporosis in young men," as would be the obvious thing to search in this case ... but

... as I was just skimming through the entries ...

... a more important question took over, and I searched:

"OSTEOPOROSIS RUNNING."

Yes.  I could be reading about medical causes, including hormonal irregularities, like Cushing's and others, and possibly even cancer ... but, what is more important to me right now is:

Can I run again?

I know that sounds silly to a nonrunner.  (you might have cancer but you just want to find out if you can run again?)  Running is that much of an addiction and it means that much to me.

Luckily I am finding some support that weight-bearing exercise is good for osteoporosis, but I am also finding articles warning to take caution with that.  Studies have shown (at least in one article I read) that long distance running is no guarantee against osteoporosis, and even cited marathoner Bill Rodgers as an example, and that other exercise is as important to perform as well.

I just want to run again.  Yes I still want to run the Goofy.
But yes I have to do this right.

I will make an appointment with my endocrinologist to figure out WHY I have osteoporosis.

In the meantime I'll take my milk, calcium, Vitamin D, and multivitamins with joy.



Developing...

No comments:

Post a Comment