Saturday, January 19, 2013

File under "Too much information"

I've been reading a lot today about osteoporosis. You know, because research is "me search." As a 39 year old otherwise healthy male, and not a postmenopausal woman , I should not have this low bone density disease ...

unless there's a secondary reason. Well, i can rule out: excessive alcohol use, glucocorticoid use, anti seizure medications ...

the question now is hormonal imbalance. Testing showed that my calcium and parathyroid hormone levels were ok, Vitamin D was mildly decreased, and my SPEP and UPEP (to check for mutliple myeloma) were fine.

But, my testosterone wasn't checked, and I believe low testosterone is a common secondary cause of osteoporosis in young males.

Could I have low testosterone?

Then it hit me, (warning, TMI part coming up) ... as an adolescent I was diagnkawd with having a varicocele.

So ... varicocele --> low testosterone --> osteoporosis --> stress fracture!

Well, I still have to have testing next week and see my endocrinologist next week, but if this pans out ... then I have to thank RUNNING and my INJURIES for unveiling an otherwise hidden health problem.

Weird how things work out, and how there are reasons for events in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment