Monday, July 8, 2013

W1D3 of Goofy training -- first "long" run

Today was great.  It was the first "long" run.  Long run in quotes because, well, 3 miles is not long ... BUT, considering that I'm coming of an injury, it was a great accomplishment.  I completed 3 miles in 36.35, average pace 12:10, which is slow for a run, but I must admit not bad for a 1:1 run walk session.  It felt great.  I am really trying to run slow and easy during the run portions, and really conserve energy.  I couldn't sleep last, not really because I was on call for work (ok that was part of it), but because I really got excited about running again, and particularly about Jeff Galloway's run-walk-run method.  In my younger years (ok last year) I totally did not want to have anything to do with walk breaks, because I felt running should be running!  But because of injury I am swallowing my pride, and walk-run is for the best.  I imagined myself last night completing a half marathon in under 2 hours.  Back in training, pre-injury, I ran 13.1 miles in 2:04.  I strongly believe, based on what I've read, and the podcast I listened to yesterday (jeff galloway was on a marathon podcast), that it is possible to get great times using walk-run.  but right now it's not about time, it's about getting back out there and being active again.  I feel great, I achieved the runner's high today! woo hoo!  I missed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment