Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Listen to your body!

Around April 2012 my groin hurt after running.  So what did I do?  I ran more.  I ran a half marathon in training, and even PR'd in the Ocean Medical Center 5k.  It still hurt.  So I got it checked out, and my heart sank when I found out it was a stress reaction/fracture of my femoral neck.  So I went on crutches...  I should have listened.

The advice was to let pain be my guide.  so what did I do?  I stopped using the crutches and it still hurt.  I ended up having to use the crutches even longer, and eventually had a bone stimulator, overall five months.  I should have listened.

So I got off crutches, and I started running again, October 2012.  And it felt great.  I ran a nice 7 miles through the trails at the beautiful Manasquan reservoir, then again through the Allaire State Park trails ... and I felt my ankles hurt.  So what did I do?  I ran on the treadmill.  My left ankle still hurt, then hurt even more.  I let it go for a week or so, then got it checked out, and almost fainted when I heard the diagnosis: another stress fracture -- this time in my left tibia.  So I used crutches and a boot and even a knee walker/scooter.  Total time three more months.

So I listened.  I went to the endocrinologist, found out I had severe osteoporosis secondary to idiopathic hypercalciuria.  I got placed on medications, and was told not to run for at least 4-6 months.  I got a "yellow" light to start, so I started this month, July 2013, running very little, mind you.  Run-walk per Jeff Galloway, and honestly mostly walking.

Then, last week, my hip started hurting again.  I kept running, and today it still hurt.  I listened.  I called my orthopedic surgeon, and got an MRI about an hour ago.

The result:  no stress fracture!!!

I'm not a religious guy, but I'm thanking the Lord and the Universe right now.  Thank you!!

I will see my orthopedist tomorrow morning.  And now --

I will listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment