Sunday, June 30, 2013

Excited for my new lease ... on running, that is!

Last week I completed a few runwalk sessions on the treadmill and felt great.  I tried my Brooks Ghost 4, with the custom inserts, with the thought that these were the shoes that I was fitted for, let's just wear these to keep my form and feet in line, to avoid injury.

Two days ago I decided I would get a new pair of the Brooks Ghost, excited that after injury I could start running again.  I went to Road Runner Sports, and was 20 minutes too early, the store wasn't open yet.  Instead of waiting, I just turned around and went home.

That may prove to be the best decision I made, because it gave me more time to listen to the Mickey Miles Podcast, in which this particular episode Michelle Sribner and Mike Scopa and their guests talked about shoes ... and the one that got my attention was ...

The Hoka One Ones!

Never heard of them before, but sounds like the opposite of the whole minimalist movement.  These shoes look big and clunky, but are described as very cushiony and "like walking on clouds" or pillows. On further research, they are both maximalist and minimalist.  the heel toe drop is minimal, only 4-6mm, yet the stability is there since there is a wider base.  But the obvious thing is that the midsole is oversized.

The point is that there is an 80% reduction in impact!! from both the cushiony EVA midsole and keeping the feet low to the ground.  This is what I need.  Given my stress injuries, this may give me a new lease on running.  run longer.

I ordered them yesterday site unseen.  Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment