Friday, May 11, 2012

Why am I doing this?

I'll be honest.  I did NOT want to like my new running shoes, the Mizuno Wave Creation 13.  I wanted to try them out for a moderate run, and say they were heavy, and that the heels got in the way ... just so I could return them to Road Runner Sports and get some a little more minimal, like the Brooks Pure series... but I guess I have to trust my feet...



Six months ago (from today) ... I started running.  Seriously, anyway.  I tried to do it the right way, going to a running store, having them video my gait/stride, etc, and settling on a trusty age-old classic Nike Pegasus pair. They were great ... and running was great ... from the Couch to 5k program (thanks to Robert Ullrey's podcasts ) to get me through ... to my first 2 mile race (yay Manasquan MidWinter Beach run!), then three successive 5k runs ... the most recent of which is just a hint of why I am doing all of this ...

Behold, Disney's Castaway Cay 5k run! :


Yup, the awesome Disney Cruise Line (including the Disney Dream!)  makes a stop on their own private island in the Bahamas, Castaway Cay.  And they have a nice little 5k run to go with it.  (note: all finishers get the medal that says "Winner" on it.)

Can't wait for my next 5k, then 5 mile run, then half marathon, then full marathon, then ... (more to come)

Anyway ... I'm having a grand old time and absolutely loving this running thing.  Sure, I experienced knee pain (had to see an orthopedic surgeon), foot pain, hip pain, cold weather, hot weather, wet weather, strange looks from people on lawns, cars, etc.

But, the question I get most, especially from people who've known me as not the most athletic person ever, is:

WHY AM I DOING THIS??????

........
........
........

It's this:


The Walt Disney World Marathon

yup, 26.2 miles through all 4 Disney Parks in central Florida.
To say that I love Walt Disney World ... geez, I can't even explain.

But, wait, there's more.  :

GOOFY'S RACE AND HALF CHALLENGE!

That would be running the Disney Half Marathon on Saturday, then running the Full Marathon on Sunday.  2 days, 2 races, 4 parks, 39.3 miles (and 3 medals to boot).


That's what I want.  And that's why I'm doing this.


No comments:

Post a Comment