Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Moving forward

Because of my injury, I've been away from the gym or any form of exercise for 11 weeks.

I have been off of my crutch, boot, and cane for a couple of days now ... well at least 90% of the last couple of days.  My left foot still feels week, with pain on the top of the foot on plantar flexion against floor resistance, standing on tiptoes ... but my limp on walking has gotten less.

I will be going back to the gym today, and will combine the advice of both Coach Jay Stephenson and my orthopedic podiatrist -- plan:

-walking warm up on the treadmill.  really light.
-sitting upper body exercises on the machines, moderate weight of 3 sets of 10.  Plan chest and tris today, watching my form, because of my osteoporosis
-few stretches post workout

Big difference from my running routines back when I was 100% healthy (looking back at my original training schedule, I was supposed to do a 16 mile long run this week)... but the thing is, I wasn't 100% healthy.

We'll see how it goes.  Not doing a 16 mile long run this week, or anytime soon ... but all things considered -- stress fractures, osteoporosis, crutches, scooter, cane, boot -- this is definitely a step forward.


UPDATE:
Just got back from the gym, and it was a good start ... actually a RE-start.  Again.

Treadmill -- 2-2.5mph x 5 minutes (swallow that pride man!).  left foot felt a little weak, slight limp.
Fixed machines:
shoulder press 50lbs 2 sets of 10 (almost to failure)
chest press 50lbs 3 sets of 10 felt good
triceps press 50lbs 3 sets of 10 felt easy
pec fly 55lbs 3 sets of 10 almost to failure at end of 3rd set

Again, swallow my pride!  You gotta start again somewhere.  Better than these months I've been injured.

No comments:

Post a Comment