Saturday, July 14, 2012

Swallowing my pride ...

Time to face reality.  My femoral neck stress fracture is taking longer to heal than I had expected.  I don't want this to be a bad thing, and I want to stay positive.  But I will be going to Walt Disney World with my family next week, and I have to face reality ... there will be a lot of walking, and although I think I can handle it, my doctor and my family don't think so, and frankly, I am still limping around on a crutch, so who am I fooling?

I continually look to two runners: Kara Goucher and Meb Keflezighi, American long distance athletes, who have suffered similar hip stress fractures, and have gone on to become champions.



I am not at the same level as they are in athleticism of course.  But I realized that if I am to maintain and reach my goal of completing the Goofy Marathon and Half Challenge, I have to swallow my pride.  So today in preparation for my trip to the my happy place, Walt Disney World, I have reserved myself an electric scooter:


It was a hard decision to make.  I fully realize that others are a lot worse than I am, and have more serious medical problems than I do, and live in a so-called ECV every day.  But I had too much pride, no way a runner like myself was going to ride in a scooter at Disney!  But I realized that this is the way to go.  This is the best way for my family and I to enjoy ourselves at Disney, and I can heal in the process.

I especially thank www.disboards.com and the specifically the folks on the disABILITIES page for sharing their experiences and thoughts, and inspiring me to go this route.  I will still run, this is just a little vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment