Sunday, January 4, 2015

Aha!! moment and the start of another Marathon training cycle.

According to Hal Higdon, Olympian Frank Shorter once said,

"You're not ready to run another marathon until you've forgotten the last one."

Well, I certainly have not forgotten about the 2014 Philadelphia Marathon, what with the freezing start, (I really wish I had brought more throwaways than my hoodie), the great course, seeing my family at mile 5), catching up with the 4:45 pace group (those first 13 miles just flew by), deciding to pass the pace group at mile 18 to then try to chase the 4:30 group for my goal, the much-appreciated Yuengling Lager and brownies the locals passed out near the turnaround in Manayunk around Mile 20 ... then feeling it ... slowing down ... feeling the pain ... the hurt ... getting passed by the 4:45 pace group and wondering why I was doing this ... and really saying to myself, "I don't have to run another full marathon again..." then getting a boost from my family again at Mile 26 to push through what seemed like a loooong 0.2 miles to get in at 4:52:33 ... in what became a beautiful 50 degree day.

but I forgot to write a race report about it.

Forward two recovery weeks later, as I was going to register for the 2015 Long Branch Half Marathon (the site of my half PR of 2:13:00), I was convinced by a buddy to just register for the full (New Jersey Marathon).

Sure, why not?

Then something I didn't expect happened -- I struggled internally for weeks with this question: Which training program should I use?  Geez, talk about Type A.

But my thinking and feeling was this.  Although to date I have 5 half marathons and 2 full marathons under my belt, I wanted, in a way, to "start over" with this next training cycle. I want to get it "right" this time.  I want each run to have a purpose, I want to have goals other than just mindlessly following the written mileage for the given day.  I want to cross train.  I want to watch my nutrition.

Now, of course there are many training plans to choose from, and each has it's own goals and methods to get you to the finish line.  And I'm of the belief that if you believe in the plan, and understand its purpose, and follow it without changing plans in the middle of the cycle, you will get to the finish line.  But yet I struggled with the specifics, and yes my thoughts were irrational at times:

-Jeff Galloway's plans for sure worked for me in the past, reduced chance of injury (and boy do I know about that), worked with my limited schedule, but I thought the weekend long runs were a little too long for me, but those long runs were made for a run-walk method, BUT I don't want to walk as much ... it feels good to run straight!

-Hal Higdon's plans are proven, but only one 20 mile run I thought?  and maybe the intermediate plans were too heavy for me?  AND life would get in the way when, according to the plan, the critical 20 miler right before the taper falls on a weekend when I know I won't be able to do it properly based on my own life schedule.  (But Galloway's programs taper earlier).

-Runner Academy Membership has its own programs too, similar to Higdon's, but with some specific cross training exercises, but still had the scheduling problem for me regarding the taper.

again, some irrational thinking I had!

so, I had to outline my goals for the next marathon:

-run injury free
-set a PR of 4:30
-reduce the walk breaks to only every mile or every water stop.
-feel good!
-be able to follow the training program closely so it doesn't interfere with my "other life" and work schedule.

Yes, transitioning from run-walk to more running has some ego component to it, but honestly it just feels good to run.  So, I thought, is is possible to choose a training plan that could address the criteria above?

I messaged Coach Matt Johnson of Runner Academy about tweaking the program / taper, and there was no problem ...(you can listen to my interview on Matt Johnson's Everyday Runners podcast here) and around the same time, I had my Aha! moment: 

RUN SLOWER.

Yes, Matt Fitzgerald stressed that in his 80/20 book, detailing the research that shows that running 80% of your runs easy is beneficial in so many different ways, and can help you run faster when it counts!

So for the most recent few runs I've gone on, I tried just that, I ran slower.  And what did that do?  I think it should address much of my concerns -->
-Slower running in training should reduce injury.  
-if all goes well, according the the 80/20 plan of running most runs slow, I'll have a better chance of setting a PR.
-Slower running allows me to run with very minimal, if any, walk breaks.  
-Running slow and straight feels good!
-yes, with Coach Matt Johnson's help I'm able to tweak the program a bit.

It felt great!  I didn't need to walk until I got water every 1.6 miles (length of the Brick reservoir loop) ... but I decided, at least for now, maybe I'll walk 30 seconds after every song on my playlist, just to ease into this.

So I chose one of the Runner Academy Membership plans,

AND IT STARTS TOMORROW, JANUARY 5, 2015 for the APRIL 26, 2016 NEW JERSEY MARATHON.

I think I'm as excited as I've ever been to run!

Join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment