Saturday, September 15, 2012

Baby steps again

Today I "exercised" for the first time since my injury 4 months ago in May. Per doctor's orders, I can pretty much only do nonimpact exercises now, like elliptical, stair master, bike, or swim.

Well, I do have a boring old elliptical down in the basement, so I went down with my iphone this morning excited to exercise, but expecting that i would need some music or podcast or something to get me going... Here's the thing, when I ran, I did not need any music, or iphone, or anything to keep my mind occupied. Running itself gave me a thrill and kept me going. The scenery, the cliched "wind in my face," even the other runners who would wave in encouragement and acknowledgement, that would keep me going. And most of all, that euphoric feeling at the end of a run..that sense of accomplisment, and seeing how far I'd run... That kept me going.

But this morning, i expected I would be stationary, staring at the blank basement wall while on the elliptical, indoors, and needing some music.

What I experienced was totally different. Afterwards, anyway. As this was my first exercise session since being sidelined, i knew i had to take it easy. I was on a nonresistance setting , on an elliptical, and going at a slow 60 step per minute pace. Barely "walking" on an elliptical. And I only went for 15 minutes. A far cry from my 2 hr long run of up to 13.1 miles that I did not too long ago.

But I actually felt it when i got off the machine. Just that 15 minutes gave me that familiar sense of heavy jelly legs, and yes some euphoria. I had almost forgotten what it was like. And i loved it. I'm exercising again!

And i can't wait till tomorrow.

Baby steps. Whatever it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment